Camping grill grates is commonly known as a campfire cooking grate or grill and it is a piece of popular camping equipment as it enhances the overall cooking experience. The very thought of campfire gets me exciting – I am sure it does the same to you! An evening full of fun and frolic with friends and family, loads of fond memories, songs, dance, stories – and of course freshly cooked (rather grilled) over-the-fire food!
Cooking over campfire grills brings a totally unique, rich aroma and flavor (I can already smell it…) to the food apart from being a greener alternative with lesser cost.
If you are all set to get outdoors and try open fire cooking, it is a great idea to get your own campfire cooking grate (grill) where-in you can cook vegetables, fish or meat while enjoying the rest of your evening.
Benefits of using camping grill grates:
- Consumes less space and is lighter
- Provides even cooking and blending surface, thus ensuring safety
- You can cook with or without pans and pots
My personal 2 cents – more than the above benefits, getting a great camping grill grate is a totally satisfying experience and you will certainly crave for more!
Well, here is the deal
After overloading you with enough facts, let me make it a bit easy for you. I have compiled a list of 10 best campfire cooking grates with their features, pros, and cons so that you can make a well-informed decision. These took a good amount of time and research, so I can assure you that these are the best 10 out of the overwhelming product lists that you would see anywhere on the internet! Table of Contents
Best Camping Grill Grates Comparisons
Images Name Price Ratings Buy Now
Camp Chef Lumberjack Over Fire Grill 36" $39.99 4.1 out of 5 stars Buy on Amazon
AmazonBasics Folding Campfire Grill $19.99 4.5 out of 5 stars Buy on Amazon
Titan Outdoor Adjustable Campfire Cooking $64.99 4.6 our of 5 stars Buy on Amazon
Adjust-A-Grill - 13570 $59.37 4.3 out of 5 stars Buy on Amazon
Texsport Heavy Duty Barbecue Swivel Grill $54.99 4.2 out of 5 stars Buy on Amazon
Sunnydaze Round Outdoor Fire Pit Grate $104.93 4.5 out of 5 stars Buy on Amazon
Coghlan's Heavy Duty Camp Grill $26.41 4.3 out of 5 stars Buy on Amazon
UCO Grilliput Portable Camping Grill $28.49 3.7 out of 5 stars Buy on Amazon
Pioneer The Perfect Campfire Grill $42.72 4.0 out of 5 stars Buy on Amazon
Camp Chef Mountain Man Grill $119.16 4.1 our of 5 stars Buy on Amazon
Table of Contents
Best Campfire Grill Grates
1. Camp Chef Lumberjack
I would say this is my personal favorite cooking grate because it is reasonably priced and guarantees great quality. Made of heavy gauge steel grill, it stands at a height of about 8-9 inches when fully open. The top is a mesh in a nice diamond pattern. You can put anything – coffee pot, skillet, saucepan – it still has room for more! Make sure that the heat is evenly spread and the flame is not too much, considering the huge size of the grill.
- Great durability, strong quality steel
- 648 square inches total cooking surface
- No assembling required
- Folding legs and flat surface
- Reasonably priced
- Perfect for regular camp cooking
- It’s designed to stand on its own over a campfire
- Great for a large group
- Long-lasting grate
- It’s big to haul it around in a backpack
It is a great choice when you are going in large groups and want to cook in bulk – like 3 or 4 lobsters, 10’s of hotdogs or maybe 25 chicken pieces at once.
2. Basics Folding Grill
This awesome folding campfire cooking grate comes in two sizes, medium, and extra-large. It is made of high-quality welded steel with a steel-mesh grill top. It is a great natural fit for a standard fire ring. You cannot use it directly and need cookware. You can easily fit a kettle and a cast-iron skillet in the extra-large one. The grill is a little heavy so needs care while transporting.
- Durable and strong
- Legs angle out providing stability
- Stands about 9.3 inches when opened
- Comes with a limited 1-year warranty
- Built is sturdy and durable
- Perfect for campground fire pits
- Available in large and extra-large size
- Fits the fireplace easily
- Not big for 2 steaks
Whether you take it camping or not, it can still be useful for some awesome over the fire romantic dinner when you have a power outage at home!
3. Titan Outdoors Adjustable
Titan is probably the best campfire cooking grate out in the market and is one product with great features and equally great customer service. This swivel grill encourages wood-fired cooking giving the perfect flavor and retaining food nutrients. If you love cooking over fire often, this is one of the best camping grills for you. Sturdy construction that can withstand even the worst weathers is the best part of this cooking grate is that it weighs only 26 lbs, making it easy to carry too!
- 60” in length, 24”x24” dimension
- Convenient spiral handle for easy one-handed operation
- Adjustable height, swivel allows for easy addition of adjusting fire
- Works perfectly with or without pans
- The handle is built with cool-touch technology, prevents burning of hands
- It’s quite large perfect for medium and large families
- Made from heavy gauge metal
- It is extremely sturdy
- Wrought-iron handle makes it easy to swing this in and out of the fire
- It will last forever at a campsite or back yard
- Could not find a single flaw in it
After the initial set up like understanding how to perfectly position the grill or to adjust the fire ring to get the right amount of heat, you can cook the perfect steak, chicken, sausages and much more with this grill.
This easy to adjust and setup swivel grill is simple in looks yet sturdy in its construction with a great finish. This could be your best purchase with some modifications like adding a pipe to steadily fix the pole at your fire pit and keep it grounded without getting loose. Other than that, the grill does an excellent job. It gives the perfect height, leveled heating and the result – flavorful burgers and brats.
- Lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects
- Easy to transport (weight is just 9lbs)
- Completely adjustable cooking grate – raise, lower or rotate
- Good temperature control design to let the food cool faster
- 16”x16” cooking surface with 24” stake
- 10 oz. canvas storage bag included
- Stands perfectly straight when cooking
- Easy to hammer into the ground
- Holds a good amount of food on it
- Super easy to set up
- You need a pipe to swivel it off the fire
A little cleaning and maintenance are all that this grill needs to give you a lifetime of great food and camping fun.
5. Texsport Heavy Duty
Another top one on my personal list is this swivel grill which has 360-degree rotation, to give you complete control. It is easily portable and the reason I love it is that the post is quite sturdy and positions itself perfectly well. The grilling surface is large (for this cost) and we can easily cook for about 12-13 members.
- 24″ x 16″ Grilling Surface and 28″ Vertical support Stake
- Up to 17” adjustable height
- Made with high quality welded steel
- Clamps hold the grate quite tightly
- Easy to assemble, dismantle and store
- Sturdy and the swivel locks
- Large grill section
- Supports lodge cast iron cookware
- Built-in clamp that goes all the way to the ground
- The add-on pole is hollow
If you feel that the stand is a little short, you can easily add some extension pipes. Using a couple of grill mats on this grill will help you ease the cleaning work and keep the coating intact for a longer time. It is surely a must-have on your camping list.
6. Sunnydaze Round Outdoor Fire Pit
You wouldn’t believe that such a simple looking grate could be so awesome! Thank me later for putting this one up on the list. With sizes from 12 inch to 40 inches, choose whatever is suitable for your fire pit ring as well as family needs. The best part is its beautiful finish and great circular design.
- Nice heavy-duty welded steel
- Easily holds a lot of logs and firewood in your fireplace
- Thick bars (7/16 inch) with a 2-inch gap between each bar
- Durable and safe to use
- 2.5 inches tall legs (use extra blocks to prop them up if needed)
- High-temperature heat resistant paint finish
- Perfect heavy duty and nicely finished grate
- Good sturdy product
- Long lasting reliable product
- Need to clean with warm water after use to avoid rust
A great grill at this price that can pull-off about 200 lbs of weight easily. Works like a charm when you place cooking pots and pans, but cannot be used with food placed directly on the grate. It may rust if not cared for well after rigorous use.
7. Coghlan’s Heavy Duty
For the price it comes at, this flat camping grill is a total steal deal. Yes, you get this in two variations, the standard one and the heavy-duty one. For a regular camping affair, I would suggest you prefer the heavy-duty freestanding grate, that has a steel frame with an iron grill surface. If you are just starting to camp and want to get a feel of over-the-fire cooking, this is your best escort (imagine, coffee, corns, steak and more – at this price!).
- 16”x24” rectangular campfire cooking grate
- Sturdy material lasts longer than you would expect
- Not for direct cooking, to be used with cookware
- Lightweight and easy to carry
- Foldable legs
- Nice and sturdy
- No paint or coating to burn off
- Budget-friendly and easy to carry
- Sharp edges on the grill screen
It does a great job with whatever you want to cook on it. The best part – it is super easy to clean. The height is a little low but you can adjust it with low fire or maybe some extra logs underneath the foldable legs to give the necessary height – and you are good to go!
8. UCO Grilliput Portable
Somehow, the sleek German design attracts me a lot towards this simple portable camping grill, which by the way is great in its working too! It is extremely lightweight, has straight legs and is fun to take along anywhere. You can bundle it with a collapsible fire bowl for an additional $16. Pack the fire bowl with charcoal or wood, for a low-impact, safe and contained outdoor cooking. With or without the fire bowl, this can be your perfect companion for a solo exploration trip!
- Stainless steel, easy to clean and dishwasher safe (great, isn’t it?)
- The tube takes in all the grill parts, so there is literally no space occupied while storing
- Comes with a built-in cleaning groove to clean the soiled grills on the go
- Supports up to 1.5kg of weight on it
- 10.2 inch by 9.1 inches, the legs give a height of 7 inches
- 1-year manufacturer warranty
- Perfect for overnight hikes
- Easy to store
- Size is perfect for 2 people
- Very easy to clean
- May need two people to assemble it
If you are a biker or enjoy weekend getaways with your partner, this is a nice take-along. It can easily help you grill some sausages, burgers, hot dogs or kebabs. Before you plan to take it along for a long camping trip, check each leg for proper threading. If overused, there are chances of warping.
9. Blue Sky Gear Grill
The Blue Sky gear is your standard outdoor campfire cooking grate, but worth a mention on this list, because it serves the purpose well. It has all the basic features that you would look for in a grate. You can use it directly for cooking or use your own cookware. This camp grate is easy to store and install. The noteworthy and unique point that sets it apart from others is that the legs are quite tall (about 11 inches) and you don’t have put extra logs or fitting underneath (Thank god!).
- Chrome-plated camping grill
- Foldable legs
- 15″ cooking surface
- High-quality material can be reused without any wearing off
- Convenient of storage
- Chrome-plated makes it Perfect for outdoors
- Faster Delivery
- Does not have lock mechanism on the legs
This is not a fancy grate to boast about, but ideal for a family who likes to camp often. Take it along with you without hassles and enjoy a meal with your near and dear ones, with this simple and sturdy travel gear, that comes in two colors – silver and pinecone.
10. Camp Chef Mountain Man
Camp chef grill is definitely a costly campfire cooking grate! Well, it is totally worth the price you will be paying! Comes with 3 attachments, so you can cook a large, hearty meal for many people! Plant the stake deep in the ground and it will stay there for as long as you want. The trays don’t move until you move them. They magically stay even with no real visible lock. Words are less to describe this beautiful grill, that is so great for cooking – on a camping trip or on your backyard, for a party or a quiet simple dinner!
- Comes with steel griddle, steel grill, steel charcoal Box, Steel stake and Carry Bag
- 16 x 18″ campfire cooking grate
- Great customer service
- You can use all the attachments at once, or one at a time
- No sticking, perfect greasing and cooking experience
- Slightly backward angle provides excellent drainage
- Nice non-stick after a few hours seasoning
- Grill section provides nice charring and wonderful smoke
- Skillet tends to warp after a while
Be it eggs, bacon, pancakes, fries, toasts, hotdogs, chicken, rib-eyes, steaks and more, this man grill is the perfect choice for the remotest camping trip you have planned. Gives a nice woody aroma to the food. It will never let you down, rather give you an unforgettable experience altogether. With no real cons, this grate definitely gives an edge over other products in a similar range.
Creating Perfect Camping Grill Grate Experience – Cooking on Campfire Grates
Most importantly, you have to dig a fire pit which is the correct size for your campfire cooking grate. Utilize your metal camping grill as a manual for the size you are going for. On the off chance that you make your fire pit too huge the grate will fall directly in over the fire!
You need your grill to be some space over your hot fire and coals with the goal that the meat and other food items do not get burnt! To do this, you can dig a pleasant deep fire pit for your campfire. On the other hand, and especially, notwithstanding digging a pit with the goal that your firewood plunks down low, structure a ring of rocks around the edge of the campfire. Pick enormous tough rocks. Ensure you make this edge ring the correct size (just marginally littler on the inward diameter than your grill grate) with the goal that you can lay your grill on top and it will sit steadily over the top, raised a few crawls over your fire.
Fabricate a huge fire first and let it torch a bit before adding your campfire grill. Cooking over huge open flares it not perfect, it will consume and roast your food rapidly! In a perfect world, you need a decent center of hot coals at the base of the fire and you need to give the huge flares a chance to fade away before you include your grill and sustenance. Along these lines, you are cooking over hot ashes and not open blazes. Your warmth will begin to fade away in the long run however you can drag out it by blending the coals a bit intermittently (with a stick or long stick) to get more oxygen to them so they consume longer and hotter.
That’s it! Have a nice time and enjoy your campfire grill experience.
What are the different types of camping grill grates?
There are 3 types of campfire cooking grate:
- Flat Grate – No assembly needed, come with foldable legs and have a flat cooking surface. Basically, the easiest ones to use.
- Tripod grate – Just as the name says, these have 3 legs and are easy to pack. Great for hanging kettles or roasting your favorite (mouth-watering) meats.
- Swivel grate – These can be swiveled to adjust the height as well as their distance from the fire. They are strongly propped up in the ground for stability.
You can choose to buy any of the three depending on your necessity, for example, if all you need is some basic frying and heating water or are using additional cookware, you can typically go for the flat campfire grate. If you are a regular, you would probably want to buy something that is more stable and safer like the swivel grate – it is definitely worth spending on this one even if it means a few extra bucks.
Thinking about it…
How to buy the right camping grill grate?
Here are a few questions that you should consider before you decide to buy a campfire cooking grate:
- How many people am I going to cook for?
- Is the grate easy to store, pack and assemble?
- Do I really need the advanced features like stake mounting, adjustable height and swiveling?
- What is my optimal quality to the budget ratio?
While getting the best quality can be your first thought, even with the best quality steel, you will need some maintenance and a good cleaning to use it for a long time and prevent the grate from rusting. However, if you want to get the full benefits of campfire cooking, going for a quality one will make more sense.
Conclusion to the Best Camping Grill Grates
Camping is a totally fun activity and with the right set of equipment, it can be a lifetime experience for first-time campers. For regulars, it is just a matter of choice of products that they can keep changing to upgrade themselves. Most of the products listed above are heavy-duty ones because they use heat-resistant paint that has a longer life.
The best grate is the one that can satisfy the needs of all the co-travelers, are safe to install and use, easy to carry, can be placed on a stable surface without hassles and can ensure balanced, even and healthy cooking. Most importantly, it should keep the spirit of camping – alive!