Camping beds also known as camping mattress are an essential part of the camping trip as it determines how well you will sleep or rest.
After all, a good camp bed helps with a sound night’s sleep which is the defining factor for your camping trip to be enjoyable and memorable. If you are new to camping then definitely check out these awesome camping tips.
Rather than putting a sheet or sleeping on the bumpy ground, a nice, warm bed can make you relaxed and recharged. Sleeping bags are not ideal for every situation and having a camp bed to complement your sleeping bag can get you camp anywhere.
I also use the camp beds in my house sometimes as an extra bed for guests and occasionally for backyard camping with the kids. That’s why buying one is never a waste of effort or money and proves to be a useful addition to my gear.
There are many reasons why camp beds are preferred on a camping trip.
- You can sleep just like you would do at home, in each other’s arms, with a queen or king-size bed. A bigger bed can accommodate 2 adults and a child as well.
- Good quality cots will not damage your camping tent. Cots generally have good finishing at the bottom. With tents having limited space, these cots can give storage space under the bed that can come handy.
- Be safe from the cold, dusty, rocky or uneven ground during the day as well as night.
- Ensure they are easy to store so you can always accommodate more as your family or friends circle grows.
- Most beds, particularly air beds are easy to set up and carry. They weigh less and come with an electric pump for inflation.
Hit your camp spot during day time, so that you get a good view of your site and spread the tents accordingly. The place might need some cleaning up and you can set up your tent, take out all the important stuff like first aid kit, camp bed, campfire equipment, etc. and get a quick nap before starting your adventure. While beds do provide some insulation during winters, it is important to keep layered clothing to protect yourself, especially if kids are around.
Best Camping Mattress Comparison
|Coleman Camping Cot, Air Mattress, and Pump Combo||$144.19||4.0 out of 5 stars||Buy on Amazon|
|Disc-O-Bed Large with Organizers||$316.48||4.6 out of 5 stars||Buy on Amazon|
|BetterHabitat Sleep Ready Memory Foam Floor Mattress||$159.95||4.4 out of 5 stars||Buy on Amazon|
|Coleman ComfortSmart Cot||$48.79||4.6 out of 5 stars||Buy on Amazon|
|Lightspeed Outdoors 2 Person PVC-Free Air Bed Mattress||$75.52||4.0 out of 5 stars||Buy on Amazon|
|SoundAsleep Dream Series Air Mattress with ComfortCoil Technology & Internal High Capacity Pump||$119.95||4.3 out of 5 stars||Buy on Amazon|
|Coleman Pack-Away Camping Cot||$52.00||4.2 out of 5 stars||Buy on Amazon|
|Etekcity Camping Air Mattress Queen Twin Air Bed||$64.99||4.0 out of 5 stars||Buy on Amazon|
|ALPS Mountaineering Velocity Air Bed||$74.99||4.2 out of 5 stars||Buy on Amazon|
|Coleman Trailhead II Cot||$87.68||3.8 out of 5 stars||Buy on Amazon|
Which camping mattress to buy for the winter season?
Foam based mattresses and self-inflating mats are the most comfortable camping beds for the winter. The foam layered camp bed provides good insulation. The inflatable rolling mats are not expensive and come in different thicknesses and sizes too. Check out our winter camping tips that will make your adventure more memorable.
Better Habitat Sleep Ready Memory Foam and Coleman ComfortSmart Cot are the top two recommendations when it comes to choosing a camp mattress for the winter.
How to make a camping mattress comfortable?
If you are sleeping under the stars or inside a tent regardless you have to make your camp beds & cots comfortable in order to get that sound sleep as I just hate waking up in the middle of the night and feeling really uncomfortable.
The best way to make your camp beds & cots comfortable is to choose a flat surface for your bed and once you have your spot move on to setting it up. The next step is to lay down a cotton or silk bed sheet on the bed and add some pillows. I would normally have a light blanket on top just in case it gets chilly in the night. Lastly, carry some eucalyptus oil with you and spray it on the corners of the bed by doing so you will keep the insects away and also have a relaxed meditated sleep in the night.
I have slept like a hibernating bear by using this method and can assure that you would enjoy your camp sleeping much more.
Best Camping Beds & Cots– Reviews
1. Coleman Camping Cot
Your camping experience will be truly fun with this queen mattress and cot set which stays put even on uneven ground. The frame is strong and holds up well even after rough use. You can use the mattress that comes with the pack or your own sleeping bag – whichever works well. It’s a comfortable bed for tall people (up to 6 feet and 2 inches) as well. The side tables are a plus and come in handy to keep mobiles, spectacles, books and other light stuff.
- Portable, foldable and strong durable steel frame
- Suitable for both indoors and outdoors
- Two side tables which act like a bed-side table
- Airtight mattress system to prevent leaking
- Supports 600 pounds and 6 feet, 2 inches height
- 1-year warranty
- The air may gradually reduce as you use the mattress, but the pump is of good quality and fills the mattress quickly. If you observe any creak sounds while shifting sides on the bed, just wrap some adhesive tapes around the poles and you should be good to go!
- You can grab this one on Amazon, here is a direct link to the product.
2. Disc-O-Bed Large
I like this versatile bunk bed because I can as well turn it into a bench or a twin bed as I need. The frame is sturdy and easy to store and transport. There is no assembly or setup required per se. You just put everything in 2 bags that are given. The side organizers make it very convenient to keep things like a watch, books, phone etc… It takes the weight as heavy as 350 pounds. You are sure to get a good night’s sleep with this one.
- Modular, portable and strong built
- No mattress is required, the polyester material provides a comfortable surface
- Anti-rust, powder-coated steel for the frame
- 2 side organizers simple yet elegant
- Dimensions are 36.8 x 16.3 x 10.7 inches
- Lower bed has a suitable height even for the elderly. A good bunk for both outdoors and indoors – easy to assemble and disassemble. If you get that typical smell of paint, don’t worry, it will wear off as you use the bed more often. Definitely, a good long-term purchase.
- Grab them on the Amazon store, click here to see the product.
3. BetterHabitat Memory Foam
Memory foam mattresses are generally comfortable, especially for kids. The best part of this one is that it comes with a breathable, water and sweat proof cotton terry cover. It folds and unfolds easily (which I was skeptical about initially because the mattress is thick). The finishing, particularly for the stitching is impressive and the zippers don’t come off that easily.
- Solid 3-inch memory foam that gives great comfort and sleep
- Good quality bag that fits the mattress easily and prevents dust and bacteria
- Mattress material is highly durable
- Dimensions – 75” x 35”
- No set up required – just unclip and use, clip and fold, put it in the bag!
- Machine washable cover to protect the mattress
- The piece easily fits your RV/car, however, it’s a bit heavy, so don’t take it to places where you have to carry it yourself. Perfect for use at home or for camping; for guests, kids or yourself – This one is your long-term companion for a good night’s sleep!
- This one is really comfortable, you can get them cheap on Amazon here.
4. Coleman ComfortSmart Cot
I love the simplicity of this cot. Elegant and sturdy, it serves the purpose and is quite affordable. A simple foam mattress and a foldable cot – what else do you need for a good night’s sleep after watching the night sky! Fits comfortably even in smaller car trunks. There is a bar in the middle from where the cot folds, however, you will never feel it because of the firm mattress. One of my friends’ wife who was 8 months pregnant had a comfortable and restful sleep on this cot.
- Durable steel frame that stands well on any surface
- Superb spring system for superior support
- Comes in 2 colors – black and grey
- Very reasonably priced
- Easy to lift and transport
- Doesn’t come with a bag or cover to carry
- Because of its extra width compared to other mattresses, it’s suitable even for taller people. If you feel the padding is not enough, just add some thick blankets for extra support and insulation.
- Add this smart cot to your collection and shop them here on Amazon.
5. Lightspeed Outdoors 2 Person Air Bed
I have been using this for the past 5 months and it works as good as a new one. Light-weight and durable, the material keeps you comfortable. You have to fill it only the first time – the air never leaks. The mattress itself won’t keep you warm, but you can put some blankets underneath for the same. From a health perspective, this mattress is good because it is free of any toxic material.
- Queen size, comfortable for 2 persons
- Comes in cute colors – pink, blue, green
- Can be neatly folded and kept in a good quality cover that comes with the mattress
- Pump, included with the mattress operates with 4D batteries
- Durable thermoplastic, polyurethane material
- 1-year warranty
- Firmness can be adjusted using the valves for inflation and deflation
- Use the valves with care so that they do their job for a longer time. The pump is not as good as you would expect, so you can purchase another online, but the product is extremely good comfort-wise and health-wise. Don’t fall for cheaper products that look similar to this one.
- If you looking for good camp beds & cots for yourself and your family then this one is definitely the one for you, grab them on Amazon.
6. SoundAsleep Dream Series
I love the design and construction of this mattress. It is breathable and soft yet firm. Whether you sleep or jump on it, it wouldn’t deflate. When you are not using it, fold it carefully and keep, so that it doesn’t break. Not that it would, but that’s a good practice for its longer life. I like that it can inflate and deflate just by turning the valve.
- Comes in different sizes – queen, king, twin, and twin XL
- Puncture resistant, durable, eco-friendly PVC material
- Dual chamber construction
- 40 internal air coils for good grip and support
- Built-in pump that inflates the mattress in 4 minutes without noise
- The mattress works best with even (and not bumpy) surfaces. That’s majorly because of its thickness. Take time and fold the mattress carefully otherwise there are chances of little air gaps forming mostly when it is idle. A great choice for occasional home use as well as camping.
- Amazon is giving them away at an affordable price, click here to get it.
7. Coleman Pack-Away
What I like most about products from Coleman is that they are simple, classy and affordable. This one is compact, adjustable and has three different positions – sitting, recliner and sleeping. So, you can use it not just for sleeping but throughout the day (wow!). It is quite sturdy and heavy. If you are bored with air mattresses, this could be your best bet.
- Durable and strong steel frame
- Can hold up to 300 pounds weight and people about 6”6’ tall.
- 3 modes of adjustment for a perfect outdoor setting
- Comes with a nice strong carry bag
- Fat or fit, this cot is for all! The metal legs fold and open like a charm and the side tables can be pulled on any side. You can use some hard material like cardboard to protect your tent surface. Get a good sleeping bag or thick foam and go camping with this zero-maintenance guy!
- Check out this bed on Amazon.
8. Etekcity Queen Twin Airbed
Etekcity lives up to its brand value and rest assured, you will get a refund or better product if you are not happy with what you receive. The customer service is great, which is a major plus. The mattress fills up quickly and doesn’t make any noise or lose air even when you move a lot during sleep. The rechargeable pump works well but the charger heats up quickly so preferably use it for a maximum of 7-8 minutes in a single go.
- Queen bed with 9” height
- PVC mattress with extra support on top and 0.2mm flocked top for softness and warmth
- Can withstand up to 450lbs weight
- Comes with a handy carry bag
- The pump is rechargeable and can be used for purposes other than inflating the mattress
- Stable even on uneven and rough surfaces
- It is a great mattress with long life when used with little extra care. Use the pump only when it’s not charging. Wrap the mattress with a clean sheet when not in use. A firm and comfortable mattress, worth a shot.
- I have this one and I recommend it to you as well, it is selling on Amazon.
9. ALPS Mountaineering Velocity
This mattress just goes on and on without any refilling. It is perfect for watching the night sky or to be put inside a tent. Though a bit bulky, it is worth the pain because the material is PVC free and doesn’t attract any dust. So, people with any dust allergies or similar can relax. Charge the pump for half a day before you start using it. If you remove it early, the batteries won’t charge properly and the pump won’t work as expected. There are 2 valves, start inflating with the bigger valve and towards the end, change to the small valve.
- Sturdy, durable material without any smell
- Available in twin and queen size models
- Stays firm when inflated; no bouncing
- Rechargeable air pump that comes with 110V AC, 12V DC adapters and valve adapter
- Limited lifetime warranty
- I have never seen the mattress leaking anytime, even after continuous use. The durability and design of the product make it a great choice for RV camping.
- Get this camp bed directly from Amazon.
10. Coleman Trailhead II Cot
This is one of my favorites for 2 main reasons – the simplicity and comfort of this mattress and the durability of the canvas. You can’t carry the bag by hand for a long time, but it fits inside the trunk of any car easily. The cots stay put in rough surfaces and you wouldn’t trip or feel uneasy. The first set up is a bit difficult, but once done the cots are just awesome.
- Easy to assemble and fold
- Cross-bar steel frame which is durable
- Weight of the product is 18” and it supports up to 300lbs weight
- No center crossbar – comfortable to use with or without a sleeping bag
- Tired of refilling air mattresses? This is surely a welcome change for you at an affordable price. I have never had a back-ache even after consistent use during outdoors. Get 2 or just one as per your need.
- This is a perfect outdoor camp bed, you can get it on Amazon.
Choosing the Best Camping Mattress for Night – Perfect Camp Bed
There are various innovative beds available in the market now. In my list of camp beds, I have penned down some of the best ones – some that I personally love and some that have brought me great reviews from friends and acquaintances.
Each type has its own merits and you can choose the one that is closest to your requirements. The external like weather conditions, type of trail, distance to the actual camping site for portability and internal like any health conditions, comfort, family members and so on.
Here is a quick guide on the various types of beds and their benefits –
- Roll mats – Simple and easy to carry, these are most suitable for remote places. They have a layer of foam to protect your body from the bumpy surface. More than comfort, these are well-known for the insulation they provide. Roll mats come in different thickness levels to provide different levels of insulation.
- Air mattresses – Most of us use mattresses at home. So, why not the same during camping? These beds help make you feel as comfortable as at home. You can get them in any thickness, material, price range, and size. Most airbeds sellers also provide pump and inflation process is pretty quick. Mattresses don’t give very good insulation, especially during wet or cold weather, however, having additional blankets would help.
- Folding cots – If you can’t or don’t want to sleep on the ground, cots can be very useful. These are foldable and strong. They can stand tall on uneven surfaces too. Cots can give you handy storage space under the bed. You can additionally use a warming bag or a bed to keep yourself warm during winters as the cots alone won’t do that job. Since most cots are made of a steel frame, they are not easy to carry.
- Self-inflating beds – These are compact compared to the other types of beds and provide better insulation. They are easy to carry, a bit costly though. These beds are becoming a popular choice because of their durability, comfort, and compactness. The outer fabric is airtight and once the inlet valve is opened, air automatically fills in the mat.
With inflatable beds, you should make sure there are no sharp objects on the ground, as the chances of the bed getting punctured are quite real.
Select the Best Camping Mattress
Sleeping well is essential for an uplifting camping experience. You should be recharged and excited for the next day – not dull and sulky – which is why it is important to choose the right camp bed. If this is your first time camping and you use a mattress at home, go for a foam mattress that is firm, insulated and comfortable.
Other than the occasional re-filling, these are great choices – easy to carry and more stable. If you can’t sleep on the ground or have back-ache problems, go for flat and firm cots that stand tall even on rough surfaces. Whether you have a tent or not, a cozy bed will give you the perfect night sky experience with your loved ones.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!